Wednesday, April 29, 2009

American Idol Season 8 (Week 8)

I always look forward to how contestants would perform on Big Band week. Some of the very best musical scores and jazz-infused tunes are from this genre... lots of brass & percussion, and clever harmonies. If you can't appreciate the fantastic melodies that came out of the 40s/50s, then you simply cannot be a complete musician. This is that one genre where you need to appreciate the voice behind the words, and the artistry within the lyrics themselves.

1) Adam Lambert - I can't help but chuckle everytime he opens his mouth, because it continues to confirm that he is simply too good for this competition.
2) Danny Gokey - actually for the first time, I liked his arrangement more than the other four performances (yes, even more than Adam's - whoa, did I just admit that?!?)
3) Allison Iraheta - a little Gershwin with an edge. Nice. What's sad is that she can't get enough votes. Maybe it's coz she looks like that lucky troll with the red hair that the grannies bring along to Bingo night?
4) Kris Allen - didn't dazzle me, but his talent on interpreting simple songs and peppering it with a unique style, now clearly shows. And it is very refreshing to see a different kind of brilliance.
5) Matt Giraud - he totally missed the mark. Some stuff in there I actually cringed at. One who cannot hold a solid note for five stinkin' seconds, riffs. A purist will not riff on a powerful note.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adam?!? Really??? Sorry lovey but he is definitely NOT one of my top... anything. When he hits those high notes and sticks out his tongue, I can't help but wonder if he has been possesed by the devil or if he is trying channel Gene Simmons! He bugs me! What's worse is that the judges fawn over him! I don't think he's good, yes MY opinion. I can only pray that he doesn't stay on instead of one of my faves, which are Danny, Kris, Allison, and Matt. =))) Love Big Band Week also, love the music of that era. Let's see what tonight brings. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Hugs!
~Lisa